Choosing the Best Convection Microwave Oven
- 1 Choosing the Best Convection Microwave Oven
- 1.1 What makes convection microwave ovens so special?
- 1.2 1. Cooks food more evenly
- 1.3 2. Faster cooking process
- 1.4 3. More energy efficient
- 1.5 Drawbacks of a microwave convection oven
- 1.6 The Best Microwave Brands on The Market
- 1.7 Cuisinart
- 1.8 Panasonic
- 1.9 Toshiba
- 1.10 Buying Guide
- 1.11 Design
- 1.12 Wattage
- 1.13 Top 6 best microwave convection ovens
- 1.14 Toshiba EC042A5C-BS
- 1.15 Cuisinart CMW-200
- 1.16 DeLonghi EO241250M Livenza
- 1.17 F. BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven
- 1.18 AmazonBasics Microwave
- 1.19 Panasonic NN-GN68KS
- 1.20 FAQs
- 2 What does ‘wattage’ mean?
- 3 Why choose a microwave convection oven?
- 4 How to clean a microwave oven?
To the untrained eyes, convection ovens and conventional ovens are virtually identical. However, these two types of ovens are not entirely the same. In fact, a convection oven offers many more advantages and features that are not even possible to have in a traditional one.
If you love to cook, and look for something special, you should think about the convection microwave oven. The importance of convection microwave ovens will never descrease regardless of how technologically advanced our kitchen stuff becomes. Using proper kitchen appliances will increase the happiness of your family and can improve the taste of the food. Among the many other kitchen appliances on the market, one of the most popular ones is the convection microwave oven. This is because this device can provide you with great satisfaction and comfort while cooking your meal. These ovens provide you with the convenience of cooking a delicious dish right in front of you without having to leave your kitchen.
One thing about microwaves is that they take up much space and you may find it difficult to cook in your oven. With these ovens, you can easily prepare the dishes that you love and at the same time save valuable space in your kitchen.
There are various sizes and models available for you to choose from. It depends on your own preferences and the size of your kitchen. But whatever model you choose, you are sure to have the best appliance available in the market.
There are many people who are looking for the best oven for their home but are not too sure as to which one to choose. This is why, it is important that you compare these appliances with the other ovens so that you can choose the best one. With the various features that these appliances offer, you will never be short on options.
When it comes to these appliances, there are various sizes available in the market. You can choose from the small to the medium size ovens and you can also opt for the large ones. You should always keep this in mind so that you can choose the best oven for your needs.
One of the best advantages of large convection ovens is that they are easy to cook and maintain. This is because these ovens do not require a lot of maintenance. In fact, they are easier to clean and there is no need to change the cooking surface to ensure that they remain safe and fresh for a long time.
These ovens come in many colors and designs and you can easily select one that best suits your needs. This way, you can get the best in the market. If you prefer to use the microwave for preparing different types of dishes, you can buy one that is suitable for your preferences. You can easily choose from different colors like black, white, red, blue and green as well.
As these ovens come in many models, you will easily be able to decide which one best suits your needs. You can easily purchase these appliances online and choose from a variety of stores.
These ovens are known for their reliability and performance. They will cook the food inside the oven very quickly and effectively without burning or spoiling it. Another great thing about them is that they will save a lot of space in your kitchen. This will help you in increasing the overall space of your kitchen.
The best part of buying this microwave is that you can save a lot of money as well. Even if you have a large kitchen, you will be able to use the microwave oven effectively. since the microwave oven can be used in the most areas of your kitchen. Thus, you can make the best use of all the space in your kitchen.
Another good thing about these appliances is that they will be able to reduce your electric bills as well. This is because the energy consumption of these ovens is not too high. Therefore, you will be able to save on your monthly utility bills.
All these factors will be good for you to buy these ovens as these are indeed, the best ovens that can be bought in the market today. So, go ahead and choose from them and enjoy the convenience that they will offer you.
What makes convection microwave ovens so special?
Perhaps the main difference between a convection oven and a traditional one is that the former is equipped with a special feature: a built-in fan. This built-in fan, positioned inside the stove, is there to optimize the cooking process. But how does adding a fan help with that? Well, there are a few reasons as to why having a built-in fan can be of service.
1. Cooks food more evenly
This is where the fan comes into effect. While traditional ovens have specific “hot spots” that are exposed to higher temperatures, convection ones use the fan to circulate the hot air around the inside of the unit. By doing this, convection ovens can evenly distribute the heat and temperature throughout the cooking process, so no place is overly cooked nor undercooked. As a result, convection ovens are the ideal tool for roasting.
2. Faster cooking process
Thanks to the hot air circulating technology, convection ovens are found to be 25% faster in cooking the food than conventional ones.
3. More energy efficient
As mentioned just above, convection ovens can cook food 25% faster than standard ovens and microwave ovens. Thus, you will be using significantly less energy if you use a convection model instead of a conventional one. This, however, does not directly translate to shorter preparation time when cooking.
Drawbacks of a microwave convection oven
Like most things, a convection oven is not the perfect choice to make every kind of food, especially when it comes to baking. This is the main disadvantage of using a range with convection features, which is not designed to handle recipes that require a more delicate touch like baking bread, cake, and other pastries. Ironically enough, the same reason that makes convection ovens better than conventional ones is their exact downfall in baking. The circulating hot air will most likely prevent the dough from rising properly, resulting in a flat and rather dense bunch of cupcakes.
So, if possible, you should choose an oven that offers both convection and conventional features. This type of range will cover all of the basics and can be used as an excellent tool to prepare either a roasted chicken or some loaves of bread. In addition, convection ovens are capable of producing outstanding browning quality and crispiness that are not possible in standard ranges.
Together with the built-in fan that helps evenly distribute the temperature inside the oven, the electromagnetic radiation heating help make the microwave convection oven a valuable kitchen appliance to have for all of your cooking needs, from baking cookies to roasting beef.
The Best Microwave Brands on The Market
When is comes to complex home appliances like microwave ovens, it is always good to look for well-known and quality brands. In other words, the brands must have proven their worth in the market and most, if not all, of their products are of finest value and worth the investment. To give you a head start in the journey to find your most suitable microwave ovens, we have listed these 3 famous manufacturers for your reference:
Cuisinart offers a wide range of kitchen products including appliances and cutlery, but more importantly, you can always relay on the brand to provide excellent materials and build quality.
Panasonic is specialized in a wide range of electronic products with advanced features. The products are often offered in a wide variety of sizes and designs. And that goes the same for their microwave ovens, which comes in a broad price range so that anyone will be able to afford one.
When it comes to microwave oven variety and price range, few can match Toshiba’s model collection. In fact, if you want your product to be packed with features, well-built, and affordable, this Japanese company should be on top of your shopping list.
Before jumping in and get a microwave convection oven for yourself, we think it would be best if you are equipped with the necessary information of how to distinguish between a good quality microwave oven and a bad one. We hope that this buying guide will help you avoid getting fooled by those fancy marketing tricks when you are shopping for a microwave oven.
Obviously, the thing you will catch your eyes first is the aesthetic of the microwave oven. You should want to know how big the microwave is going to be and will the machine fit into the design of your kitchen. You would not want the unit to stick out like a sore thumb in your amazing kitchen, would you? Our advice to you is to get a microwave model that will complement your kitchen and then go from there.
In most cases, 1,000 watts is more than enough for your cooking needs. But of course, the higher the wattage, the more powerful the microwave oven is. In other words, models with higher wattage rating are able to finish cooking your recipe faster. However, powerful models are quite susceptible to overcooking your food, or even worse, they could end up burning the dish entirely. So, make sure that you understand the wattage level that your microwave oven can generate and adjust the timer accordingly.
Top 6 best microwave convection ovens
Now if all the information above is somehow still not enough and you want more specific options for you to look into, we have prepared a list of top 6 best microwave convection ovens that we think will be useful. The models were chosen based on their designs, features, and even customer feedback as well as sale numbers. While the list is not that long, we hope it is in-depth and detailed enough. So, let us begin.
- Large cooking chamber
- Excellent reheat function
- Made from alloy steel material
- Adjustable sound option
- One-touch functions such as popcorn, warm hold, power-saving eco mode, and child safety lock
Design: Black stainless steel
Watt: 1000 W
Dimensions (W x D x H): 21.8” x 21.5” x 13”
When it comes to affordable yet high-quality kitchen appliances, Toshiba is probably the first brand that pops up in everyone’s mind, and that is not without its reasons. If you look at the Toshiba Countertop Microwave Oven, the machine feels very robust and well-built when compared to other models at the same price range. The oven also comes with a few other features to enhance the cooking experience as well as the overall safety.
For instance, the microwave is equipped with a child lock security feature and an automatic sensor. In addition, the model includes some preinstalled LED lights within the range itself, allowing a clear view of your food as it is being processed. Well-rounded is the name of the game as the Toshiba Microwave Oven provides everything you need conveniently.
- Modern and stylish design for an eye-catching appeal
- The buzzer sound can be turned off for a quieter experience
- Intuitive control scheme that even beginners can easily operate
- Durable thanks to the alloy steel exterior
- Versatile pre-programmed cooking functions that cover most of the popular dishes
- Reasonably priced for the features that the model offers
- Defrost is reportedly longer than other microwaves
- Sometimes, preset cooking features are not accurate
The Toshiba EC042A5C-BS Microwave Oven is not only eco-friendly and energy-efficient but also super versatile. For those who prefer some peace and quiet, the on/off buzzer function is a welcomed addition. All in all, for such an affordable price tag and wide variety of features, this microwave convection oven is on top of our recommendation list.
- Features an LCD touchpad system
- Comes with a circular glass tray
- Made from alloy steel
- Capacity of 1.2 cubic
Design: Matt black and stainless steel
Wattage: 1000 W
Dimension (W x D x H): 19” x 21.2” x 12.2”
Cuisinart is one of the leading names in kitchen appliance industry, and their CMW-200 model only further emphasizes why that is the case. Although this unit from Cuisinart is a bit more costly than other traditional microwave ovens on the market, it does offer what most of its competitors lack – flexibility and variety. Furthermore, since the Cuisinart CMW-200 is a convection microwave oven, it can be used for both roasting and baking.
But it does not just stop there. The machine is great for defrosting, reheating, and grilling as well. By conducting our own test, we saw that the model was able to achieve an excellent browning level with our roasted chicken, delivering a crispy and delicious outer layer that was phenomenon to our family members. However, we also notice that a little bit more time was needed in order to reach the golden-brown outcome.
- Intuitive LCD touchpad controls that makes operating the model a breeze
- Comes equipped with 9 pre-programmed functions for the most popular dishes
- Beginner friendly interface that provides straightforward information
- Offers exceptional build quality at this price range
- Food takes a bit more time to cook in this model than the other ones at the same wattage rating
- Surface can get extremely hot, thus, the microwave oven might potentially be dangerous for young children
- The glossy finish on the unit is prone to fingerprints so you might have to wipe it regularly
As excellent as a microwave convection oven can be, the Cuisinart CMW-200 does have its flaw. The fact that the left side of the oven can get super hot in a short time is quite problematic. However, that does not make the model bad by any mean. Just keep in mind where to keep the unit in the kitchen to avoid any potential damage and accidental touch.
DeLonghi EO241250M Livenza
- Features an LCD touchpad system
- Comes with a circular glass tray
- Made from alloy steel
- Capacity of 1.2 cubic
Design: Stainless steel
Wattage: 700 W
Dimension (W x D x H): 17.5” x 19” x 12”
The DeLonghi Livenza Microwave is mostly made of alloy steel, which gives it a modern industrial look, suitable for any kitchen or break room. The design, along with the brushed steel finish, not only make the microwave super durable but also easy to clean and maintain. Equipped with the ‘True European’ convection technology, the model is capable of cooking 40% faster than regular microwave. Furthermore, the glass door makes use of a heat lock system that helps keep the heat inside better, reducing heat emission by up to 50%. To top it all off, all the interior as well as accessories, such as plates and trays, are coated with a layer of non-stick material. This means there will be more cooking and less cleaning!
- Evenly distributes heat so that whatever you cook will turn out perfect
- Includes a variety of features that enhance the cooking experience
- Glass door is perfectly sealed as oppose to other microwaves
- There have been several reports from customers about less than desirable warranty service
The DeLonghi Livenza is a durable microwave convection oven packed with tons of features. This makes it an attractive buy for anyone’s kitchen. Not only is it a looker, but the model also offers a lot in terms of application. Having said that, you should not expect the machine to cook your food extremely fast as it only carries a 700-watt power output. Nevertheless, with the ‘True European’ design, the microwave still manages to pump out a balanced power output and thus, earns itself top marks in energy efficiency.
F. BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven
- Offers 10 cooking functionalities
- Extends steaming capacity thanks to the 37.2 ounces water tank
- Includes One-touch control scheme
- Features alloy steel panels that are conveniently placed to touch and handle
Design: Stainless steel and glass
Wattage: 1550 W
Dimension (W x D x H): 15.9” x 21.9” x 17.9”
Capacity: 1.1 cubic feet
The F. BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven is one of the high-end ovens that offers quite a lot of features, making it one heck of an ‘all-in-one’ cooking appliance. From steaming, grilling, hi-temp, combi to sterilization, fermentation, and other convection functionalities, this oven is a beast when it comes to multi-purpose capabilities. Oh, and by the way, the machine can be used to defrost and reheat food as well. With such wide variety of features, the model’s incredibly high price tag is completely justifiable. You cannot expect anything else from the F. BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven but the highest quality of performance.
- Provides longer steam capacity in comparison with other steam ovens. While most steam ovens only offer 80 to 120 minutes of steaming, the F. BLUMLEIN can push the limit to 180 minutes!
- Offers exceptional heat dispensing technology that ensures all of the heat is kept inside the oven
- Comes with extra-large capacity that will handle most, if not all, large food portions
- Features aComes with child lock security function to keep the children safe at home even when they are alone.
- The premium price tag might drive some people away
- Large and bulky design is not suitable for homes with limited available space
- Temperature adjustment might be easier with knob-style design
As big as the F. BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven can be, it is packed with excellent features, making it the perfect choice for large families and individuals who enjoys making a wide variety of dishes. However, do make sure that you have enough space on your counter to hold this beast of a microwave oven, not to mention the pile of cash which is required to obtain it.
- While only rated at 700 W, the model comes with 10 different cooking levels
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa for voice control and more. In fact, interaction with Alexa can add more presets and functionalities to the microwave. The machine can essentially be ‘smarter’ in some ways
- The perfect choice for reheating and defrosting
- Includes reorder popcorn function that automatically orders more at a 10% discount when you run low on supplies
Design: Stainless steel and glass
Wattage: 700 W
Dimension (W x D x H): 17.3” x 14.1” x 10.1”
Brand: Amazon Basics
The Amazon Basics is perhaps the most affordable and compact microwave on our list. The model is an ideal tool for any modern kitchen of a studio apartment or office break room. The compact design of this unit not only makes it aesthetically pleasing to look at, but it also saves a lot of space on your countertop.
While the microwave only features standard functionalities with no bells and whistles, the fact that it can work hand in hand with Amazon Alexa has already set the model apart from the other competitions. With the Alexa voice control support, you can take control of the microwave just by using voice command, which is amazingly fitting and perfect for those who are always on the move.
- Compact design for optimal space saving
- Alexa compatibility that makes controlling the microwave even easier with voice control
- The unit is super cost efficient
- Features a pre-programmed popcorn button for those who love
- The microwave can be quite small that even sometimes, your plates will not even fit!
For those who just want a simple microwave to reheat or defrost their food and maybe cook some ready-made food, this inexpensive model from Amazon Basics is the perfect deal to grab. But once again, you need to keep in mind the overall size of the unit itself because of its compact size.
- Large capacity at 1.1 cubic feet
- Can deliver up to 1000 watt of power
- Features Inverter Technology that is capable of delivering constant and evenly distributed stream of power
- Advanced Inverter Turbo Defrost significantly reduces defrosting time
- Includes Smart Cooking Settings, Keep Warm Feature with Genius Sensor
Design: Cyclonic Inverter
Wattage: 1000 W
Dimension (W x D x H): 20.7” x 15.8” x 12.2”
One of the most well-known brands in the world, Panasonic is a household name when it comes to everyday appliances. And to no one’s surprise, their NN-GN68KS Countertop Microwave Oven still lives up to that reputation. What makes the model stands out from the rest of the microwaves is its versatility and user-friendly functions. While the unit does come with a lot of features, it never feels too overwhelming even if it is your first time using the machine.
In addition, this microwave from Panasonic features quite a spacious interior capacity at 1.1 cubic feet with 2-in-1 Broiler design. Although the model does require a substantial amount of power to operate, it is understandable because of the overall size of the machine and the number of functionalities the unit offers. And better yet, while it looks and feels very modern, the microwave does not cost as much as you would expect.
- User-friendly and intuitive controls that both beginners and expert can easily navigate
- Top-of-the-line microwave features that can rival even the top high-end models out there
- Sleek and modern design that will surely fit into most, if not all, kitchens
- Features a wide range of cooking options that can take up any kind of recipes
- The microwave is quite large, so before making your purchase, make sure that you have enough space to put it in your kitchen
As a whole, this microwave is probably one of the most well-rounded devices out there in the market. The Panasonic NN-GN68KS is jam-packed with features while remaining as user-friendly as possible. While most people would think this machine might make a dent in their budget, the microwave is priced reasonable enough so that you will not go bankrupt.
What does ‘wattage’ mean?
‘Wattage’, or ‘watt’ for short, indicates the total power output that the microwave itself can generate. The higher the number, the more powerful the microwave is, and the faster the model can cook what is inside. For instance, the lowest wattage level that is on the market right now can be as low as 500, which are typically considered underpowered, thus, more time is needed to cook the food. On the other end of the spectrum, higher wattage models can be rated up to 1,200 watts, though you will not probably need that much for commercial use. Typically, microwave ovens rated at 1,000 watts are good enough already.
Why choose a microwave convection oven?
As we have mentioned above, microwave convection ovens are equipped with built-in fans which distribute and circulate the hot air more evenly. This, in turn, makes the cooking faster and more efficient. This kind of models is the perfect choice if you love roasting and prefer a crispy finish with your food.
How to clean a microwave oven?
Even when you are not using the microwave oven that often, we recommend cleaning it regularly. The cleaning process is very straight forward. All you need is a microwavable bowl, some water, and a tablespoon of vinegar.
- Start by mixing 1 cup of water with a tablespoon of vinegar into the bowl and place it inside the microwave oven.
- Next, turn on the machine and wait for the mixture to evaporate.
- Stop the oven once the mixture starts boiling. By now, the inside of the range should be nice and steamy.
- Remove the bowl and let the microwave oven sit for a bit to cool off. Now, you can begin wiping it with some paper towels.
As for the turntable, if your model does come with one, you can wash it by hand or put it into the dishwasher (if it is dishwasher safe). As for the exterior of the microwave oven, we suggest spraying some all-purpose cleaning solution on a clean cloth and use it to wipe around the machine while avoiding the venting system.
Pretty much every kitchen that you walk in has a microwave oven. It has become a vital part of any household. Having said that, a microwave oven that also has convection feature? Now that will cover most, if not all, of your cooking needs, whether it is baking or roasting. We hope that this article can help you determine the best microwave convection oven for yourself and your family, or at the very least, help you narrow down the options.